Sister Dibb in October General Conference shared a story of men working on a bridge. The scaffolding faltered killing 4 people and leaving 7 others stranded on a 8 inch ledge grasping to a one inch lip of steel for over an hour. (“News Capsules,” Deseret News, June 9, 1993, A2)
Sister Dibb was curious why these men didn't have safety equipment protecting them. She did some research and discovered that they had equipment but didn't want to wear it...
I used to have a friend in the steel building construction business who shared with me that him and his coworkers never wore their safety equipment. The idea that it wasn't manly or attractive came across every time I questioned why they would be so insane.
Sister Dibb then goes on to remind us that we all have been given safety equipment during our time of Eternal Life Constructing. She clarifies also that even though it may not be 'trendy, manly, attractive' or easy it will save us from destruction:
"Heavenly Father has not left us alone during our mortal probation. He has already given us all the “safety equipment” we will need to successfully return to Him. He has given us personal prayer, the scriptures, living prophets, and the Holy Ghost to guide us. At times, using this equipment may seem cumbersome, awkward, and horribly unfashionable. Its proper use requires our diligence, obedience, and persistence. But I, for one, choose to use it. We must all choose to use it."
I believe that guarding ourself with this equipment will also help us become more lovely. The less 'attractive' we are in the world's eyes, the more near we are to the beauty of Heaven.
1 comment:
I don't know Heids... I'm pretty sexy and spiritual... I got the double S going on. That's a lethal combo. ;) I loved that talk and it totally makes sense. I hate how we don't use what we've been given and then wonder why things aren't working out. Silly humans. :P
Post a Comment