Jan 26, 2010

Jan 26

6:50 a.m. 
I'm getting ready in the bathroom and Robert comes in to tell me the milk is sour... No time to make anything else, so no breakfast. I'm calling Gandolfo's to pick up a few sandwhiches in a few minutes. My brain goes dead when they ask for my order... so I hang up on them... (what, am I like, 11?! Who does that?) Now, Robert is calling Gandolfo's to order our breakfast.


7:05 a.m.
We're paying for our breakfast sandwiches and a couple dark chocolate milks (they are out of low fat... I'm ok with that!)


7:25 a.m. 
Walking from the car to Fishbowl Inventory in the snow, with my uneaten sandwich in hand. I think 'I hate the cold, and I'm so darn hungry. Why is snowing?' I see my (truthfully distorted) reflection of myself in the door and I think 'I need to go to the gym.' and other terrible things of myself.







7:30 a.m.
I'm scraping the seeds off my sandwich bun. Praying before I eat it. And I think 'what is your problem?! stop complaining for one thing! for another thing, be more grateful! You have a place to get out of the cold. You have a heater in your car. You have snow boots on your feet. You have a full nutritional breakfast you're about to eat. You have the ability to take care of your body, to get education, to have a job.'


11 a.m. 
Watching Robber eat his roast beef sandwich. I'm grateful for his humor, he's so original. 






1 p.m.
Staci and I are talking about our day. We're discussing Haiti, and other nations and communities without the protection, conveniences and opportunities we have.  We're telling ourselves that days sometimes feel 'ugh', but we never truthfully have something to really complain about. Staci's talking about a frustrated driver behind a slower driver... Why is he so frustrated? We don't know him, but we can tell a few of his blessings: He has a running car, He lives in a country where he can have education and vocation, and He's healthy. Staci  tells me 'we don't have any real reason to be so frustrated.' 







1:15 p.m. 
Staci's scribbling on the white board... She's telling me that it's sorta like Zen. When we find the solution to never getting frustrated in the scribble, we'll just know it. (I think 'she's crazy, and that's why I love her')







2:36 p.m.
Being grateful for so much: a job that organizes opportunities for us to help those in need, right now Haiti; my little sister who's helped mostly put this Haiti project together; my husband for being more generous than I've ever hoped to be; my family that prays together; the gospel of Jesus Christ and the understanding it brings brighten up darkness and confusion; a jeep, battered... but nonetheless, a jeep; cell phones giving us the ability to get help whenever we need it; internet helping us stay connected, gain knowledge and write a blog; people with the gift of humor... humor that uplifts and doesn't mock, humor that you can remember and feel warm inside again and again.

No comments: