Feb 3, 2011

Hypnobirthing!

Oh, we just had our first Hypnobirthing class last night and I thought I'd share how it went, and all that jazz.

First myth busted for us when we got there: Hypnobirthing isn't hypnotizing the baby to just walk out...
So we had a set back. ;) totally kidding guys-

First off, it's totally awesome.

The teacher is super funny. I think Rob and I are the only ones who appreciate her loopy humor.
The classes are at her house, which is big and beautiful. She has an awesome kitchen, where we ate cookies and lemon meringue pie. Ok, that's enough about her... haha.

Have you done any yoga? It's a lot like the deep relaxation that you try to accomplish while doing yoga.
That deep breathing and imagery in trying to keep a position or go deeper in the position.
And then when you do corpse poses and you focus on breathing and positivity and really just focusing.

It's just like that. So, I love it! I love yoga...

For the most part of the 2.5 hours, we just went over basics of labor. Showing us pictures of the uterus and
going through all the vocabulary of pregnancy like amniotic fluid/sac, dilation, fundus.

The point is for us to get a really good, visual imagery of everything so we can focus on those things and picture them and know what's going on when we feel contractions and the such. It was very informative. I'm surprised how much I didn't really know.

Then we had a snack break, and I ate Tums, cause I get the worst heartburn, EVERYDAY!

The end was the funnest. We did our first hypno practice. Where we listened to peaceful music, she turned the lights down, we closed our eyes and she read a script for us. Like, 'imagine a light above you, a light full of relaxation and peace and it's covering you' and you go through your whole body and relax. Then we saw a stair case and went deeper into relaxation as we went down the steps. And then we went in a forest and went to a waterfall. 

It was really relaxing. Our homework is to go to our waterfall every day (my waterfall is totally awesome), to practice relaxing to cd scripts. We also get to pick a birthing playlist. I'm so stoked for that. A playlist with relaxation music.. I think I'll use nature sounds, cause I love nature sounds.

Then we watched our first birthing video. Not like, miracle of life... it just focused on 
the women and her ability to relax.

There were 2 other women in our class of four that had babies before, both of them natural, and
they were amazed at how peaceful and relaxed this woman was during her first labor. 

I thought she was sleeping... and then you can see her eyebrows furrow a bit and you
know that's when she's having a contraction and her husband lightly rubs the tenseness out of her forehead. And there's peaceful music playing in the background. It was a very focused, peaceful environment.

And when the women gave birth is was awesome, like, she just breathed, relaxed, and boom! There was a purply blue baby in the doctors arms.

So, it's possible people, it's possible. And it looked awesome. 

I'm excited to practice my relaxations today and every day. And pick my playlist and read my books.

And Rob's awesome, my cute little birthing partner. haha.

2 comments:

MyThoughts said...

that sounds like it could be fun!

Abby O! said...

Sounds very relaxing and I <3 Yoga so boo yah! :D