Apr 11, 2012

What of the Cake Pops?

Have you made cake pops? It's a big ole fad now, right? Most of us know who Bakerella is... I think she's basically satan. And any of you who claim to have made these 'cake pops' (not to be confused with cake balls), I'm certain you are lying about it. Certain. I've tried only twice to make cake pops. Rob and I watched the little Bakerella video online to learn exactly the science behind them. And then, we attempted to make them. Guess what?! Didn't work... and it didn't even taste that great! I guessed we used too much frosting in the cake, because they seemed heavy and wouldn't stay on the stick, NO.MATTER.WHAT. That was annoying. Then, assuming we had figured out our mistakes, we attempted them again on Adelheid's birthday, for her party. Only this time we were careful NOT to add too much frosting (actually we did oreos and cream cheese). We bought yummy white chocolate (we tried Ghirdelli because it's my favorite choco chip company, but either they had a really awful batch of white choco chips that smelled/tasted like a rotten dish rag, or they just need to step up their white choco game) for dipping and made sure to do all the steps JUst like Bakerella did. And do you know what? The dumb pops wouldn't stay on the silly sticks!!! Cake Pops my bum!! I was so annoyed that I couldn't figure out how to make a stupid cake pop that stayed on a stick, that I immediately regressed to about 4 years old and started flinging my little oreo balls around the kitchen all the while going off on how either Bakerella and everyone whose 'made' cake pops are evil and liers or I'm missing some very important wife/mother dna that makes it so I can't make a dumb cake pop. It was a very difficult realization for me. Poor Rob... just sat there watching me freak out about cake pops. It's really sorta funny now. So we didn't have those impossible little pops at Adelheid's party. And, I'm determined to never make them again. Ever! If I want something similar to that again, I'll stick with cake ball type truffles, basically the cake pop without a stick. If you've succeeded in making cake pops, 1. Don't tell me, because I wont believe you. Or 2. bring one to me to prove it, but don't be alarmed if I flip out and throw it across my kitchen out of bitter anger that you obviusly have some magical ability to make a ball of cake soaked in frosting and covered in heavy chocolate stay on a tiny little stick.

5 comments:

Bridget said...

Gah!!!! I feel your pain. I've only tried to make the blasted things once because they wouldn't stay on the sticks no matter how I begged. I'll stick with cupcakes. Now I want cake.

Abby O! said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Abby O! said...

Heids--if that determines mother worthiness then I have some major issues as I have no desire to even TRY to make cake pops. And now, having read this I, too, agree that they are evil and that Bakerella (whom I'd never heard of until just now) is a liar and a fraud.

Please note that Adelheid's birthday was a huge smash hit! It was fabulous and if everything you did for that party doesn't make up for the stupid lack of some gross cake on a stick then there is something seriously wrong with this world. Basically you're an awesome mother as Xander's 3rd b'day is in two weeks and I have done NOTHING for it. That's right, nothing.

So put that in your Mommy birthday pipe and smoke it.

(Yea... I don't know what that last sentence is supposed to mean either. Just roll with it. ;)

Sharla said...

You crack me up Heidi. Thanks for giving me permission to never try making them. And thanks for putting a smile on my face this morning.

LadyEm said...

HA HA! I've actually never tried it. I think her pops are cute but they look like too much effort for me. Most of the time, I gravitate towards big impact/small effort decorating. Maybe I'll try it someday if I mess up a cake.